bmg. GLASS + ALUMINUMIN INC.
bmg. GLASS + ALUMINUMIN INC. is a full-service glazing and aluminum operation offering high quality and timely installations of curtain wall, store fronts, window walls, punched/fixed windows, entry systems, automatic doors/operators, interior glazing, glass balustrades, custom residential showers, auto/special heavy equipment, specialty and custom jobs. bmg.’s workforce of approximately 75 dedicated employees works within an environment that promotes corporate values of respect, teamwork, performance, accountability and initiative. bmg. is looking for ambitious, talented and motivated individuals to join its team.
The main responsibility of the Estimator is to accurately provide, in a timely fashion, cost estimates for all projects, including materials and labour. The Estimator will be tasked with preparing and maintaining a list of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors, and establishing unit costs, labour rates, productivity factors and location impacts. This individual’s accuracy is critical to the profitability of the business, as under-estimates may cause significant financial losses and over-estimates may result in the inability to win bids. Other duties will be assigned as necessary.
This position ensures the effective representation and stewardship of bmg.’s reputation, its strategic interests, confidential information and corporate assets through ongoing relations with contacts external to BMG, including contractors, sub trades, professional associations, peers and other business contacts.
- Develops a trusting relationship with general contractors, builders, sub-contractors, to ensure satisfaction and repeat business. Locates new sources of business and works to encourage referrals to the company.
- Accountable for the total estimating effort, from receipt of bid package through final bid review.
- Responsible for accurately calculating the final estimated project cost, ensuring to cover all costs which may occur while preforming the job. Project costs include but not limited to: necessary materials, labour and equipment cost that is required to successfully carry out a construction project according to proposals, plans, estimates and specifications.
- Professionally prepares contracts and negotiate revisions, changes and additions to contractual agreements with architects, consultants, general contractors, suppliers and subcontractors, provides to General Manager for approval before submitting.
- Review specifications and drawings, attend pre-bid meetings, conduct site visits, and determine scope of work.
- Review design options and recommend best solutions based on cost, engineering quality, or availability of materials.
- In conjunction with the President, establish unit costs, labour rates, productivity factors and location impacts.
- Evaluate and recommend allowances for indirect costs, design unknowns, escalation and contingency.
- Prepare estimates by calculating complete takeoff of scope of work.
- Maintain files of working documents as back-up for estimate figures, including current (accurate) information on prices from suppliers.
- Prepare and maintain a list of suppliers, General contractors and subcontractors
- Review project risks and establish quarterly, plans with General Manager for project future needs.
- Performs other duties and/or projects as assigned.
- Previous work experience in a project management and estimating role for in the glass curtain industry would be a significant asset
- Post-Secondary education or equivalent
- Strong working knowledge of the Microsoft Office system, most importantly; Excel, Word and Outlook
- Strong working knowledge of Estimating software and AutoCADD
- Strong networking and negotiating skills
- Strong knowledge of building code and glass installation industry
- Ability to read and interpret building specifications, blueprints and as-builds.
- Mathematical skills and analytical skills necessary to do material and labour estimates.
- Mathematical skills and analytical skills necessary to interpret job cost reports.
- Ability to use cost-estimating software to prepare cost quotes and bids
- Ability to readily determine the correct tools and equipment needed to do a job.
- Excellent oral, written and communication skills towards external and internal customer, vendors, suppliers and partners.
- Strong organizational, time management and analytical skills.
- Detail oriented and able to analyze and troubleshoot customer issues.
- Strong interpersonal skills with excellent customer service attitude and phone etiquette.
- Required to multi-task and process a variety of information, and to identify and resolve problems within prescribed timelines.
- Must be able to work under pressure and maintain a positive and professional demeanor at all times.
To apply to this opportunity please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.